ADHD student flunking classes; parent takes action

Parent asked public school for months to test the student for an IEP.  Student receiving flunking grades since homework not turned in. Student eventually admits to a teacher that it’s his own fault for not getting homework turned in, so the school believes testing for the IEP not needed.  Outside evaluations indicated ADHD. NICHCYphotomagnifyglass3-198x300

Congress knew that there would be issues between parents and public schools, so Congress put into place several mechanisms for us to pursue.  Often we (parents) don’t know how or where to start to use them!

Some students get so frustrated that they choose to drop out of school.  Parents can take a role in ensuring the student’ program is appropriate at the school to prevent the dropout scenario.  If parents don’t do so, the consequences for the student can follow the student for life.

Advocates at™  providing information to parents so they can advocate for the child with special needs. Schools often don’t put plans into place legitimately unless a parent pursues action. Action can involve systems outside of the school district.   It’s what a parent doesn’t know that can deprive children of needed services.  Our advocate is available to go with parents to  school meetings after consultations.steeringwheeldashboardwoman2pics

Don’t be bamboozled!  Waiting and hoping for problems to go away allows our children to regress.  Hoping the problem will go away will only delay getting the problem addressed.  Waiting too long to address concerns eliminates opportunities for correction.

sign up for monthly free newsletter: 

Contact an advocate here:

We support parents at low-cost.  We can review the school recods over the phone with you  and also go to school meetings with parents, including manifestation determination meetings. 

Call:      816 865 6262     MO, KS, OK

Special Education Parent’s Advocacy Link LLC dba The IEP Center™ provides information to parents regarding the problems of children with disabilities. We are civil rights advocates.   We are not attorneys and do not give advice. We are not licensed to practice law in any state. We do not represent anyone.  Consult an attorney.