Lunchroom supervision of special ed kids in Missouri

School districts are informing parents of students with IEPs how paraprofessional, classroom aide, and program(s) are to be dropped or rearranged. Parents may be told this and not question the “administrative decision” the district is announcing.  Don’t be bamboozled! rsz_teen-reading

Changes to how a student is receiving services from a school district may alter the extent of learning the child receives.  It may lessen or aggravate the ability of the student to benefit from schooling.  Did you child’s needs change enough to the extent he no longer needs this support?  Parents can ask for an evaluation to see.

Some districts have told parents that many paraprofessionals will not be offered.  Some district have told parents that their student will now have a para available while the para serves a classroom full of students simultaneously.  Check the wording on your child’s IEP; “under adult supervision” is one way parents are misled. Does the IEP indicate a specific ratio?  the-iep-centerAsk who is assisting your child while the para is at lunch, on a restroom break or out for the day.  Often the teacher who supervises the paras are overwhelmed.  They may need a parent to request the extra help that is needed in the classroom.

There are avenues to pursue to address this; it may be most effective if a parent pursues correction before the change takes place.

Advocates at the iep center help parents solve IEP problems by providing information so they can advocate for the child with special needs.  Don’t be bamboozled!  Waiting and hoping for problems to go away allows our children to regress.

Contact an advocate here or in Missouri call 816 865 6262

©2015 Special Education Parent’s Advocacy Link LLC

sign up for ezine:


Special Education Parent’s Advocacy Link LLC dba The IEP Center™ provides information to parents regarding the problems of children with disabilities.  We are not attorneys and do not give advice.  Consult an attorney.

We help parents at low-cost; can’t afford? Check if your church will sponsor our service for you. Credit cards accepted through Paypal. Visit the website to set up a phone consult.