Students get extra help from para (paraprofessional) at the public school

So you’ve been told that your child has a paraprofessional to help him while at school.  Sometimes these support people are called classroom aide, teacher’s aide, etc. What does this mean?
It may mean that the paraprofessional is also helping many other students in addition to your child. It may mean that your child gets help from a paraprofessional during certain portions of the school day. Don’t assume it is a one-on-one scenario. Some schools have wording in the IEP “student will have adult supervision”; I would hope so!  All public school children have “adult supervision”.

To what extent are your child’s needs met (or not) with or without a para?  Don’t assume that the teacher alone can meet all your child’s needs and all the other students’ in the room (in an IEP meeting, teachers won’t ask for extra staff in the room but parents can request para supports!)  Schools are now explaining that budget cuts result in less staff; your child who previously had a para may not now–unless you ask you may not know!  Our advocates can go to school meetings with parents. rsz_enthusiasticlearner-300x199

Ask the school:

  • how many students are served by the para?
  • at what times/scenarios does the para work/assist my child?
  • what real-life experience does my para have working with a student who has the disability my child has?
  • what training specific to the disability has the para attended?  if none, why not?
  • what training does my para receive that is different than   the professional teachers receive?  what does the para know about my child’s disability?
  • who will substitute for the para when the para is absent? how available is the sub?
  • what training/experience does the sub have?

Perhaps your child has a paraprofessional assigned to him and you are concerned that the para may provide too much or not enough support to your child.  Ask the school:

  • In what subjects/activities does the para provide direct instruction?
  • In what subjects/activities does the para provide social guidance/set or guide interaction with peers?
  • In what settings does the para fade to the background and serve only as a monitor?
  • In what settings does the para provide physical/hands-on support/assistance?

Click icon to explore how to set a phone consult or arrange for an advocate to assist

These questions are best asked of the para privately and later to the staff in an IEP or 504 meeting.  A parent can request that these details be included in the IEP under supplemental aids/services.  In a 504 plan, it can be listed as accommodations.

The para may need ways to make his life simpler at the school.  Ask the para if he needs access to closets/storage areas at various points in the building for ease in acquiring extra clothing or a private area to change the student’s clothing.  Offer to provide extra clothing in an additional backpack close to the lunch area in case of spills. Don’t forget the para on the bus; she may need items as well.

When discussing your child’s needs at the school, be careful of the terms you use.  Yes, we all want our children to be “independent”; however, school personnel may interpret “independent” to mean that the student should be left to his own vices as much as possible—resulting in limited assistance from the para.  In primary settings, this may not be the desired scenario for some children. A standard Missouri had for our kids back in the early 90’s was “maximize the capabilities”.

If your child has been assigned a paraprofessional (para), more questions need to be asked!  A proactive parents helps prevent a child from incidents that result in suspensions or change in placement(s).

Accolades to all the hard-working wonderful paras!  Thank you.

Don’t be bamboozled by the school!  Our advocates inform parents about what Congress has for parents to help your child. We also go to those confusing IEP meetings!  Visit our website to set a phone consult;

©2015 , 2017   Special Education Parent’s Advocacy Link LLC dba The IEP Center™.  We are civil rights advocates.

We provide information at low-cost to parents so they can better advocate for their child with disabilities in the public school.  We can go with parents to meetings at the school.

Special Education Parent’s Advocacy Link LLC dba The IEP Center are not attorneys and do not give legal advice.  We are not licensed to practice law in any state; we do not represent parents or children.  Consult an attorney.


Lunchroom supervision of special ed kids in Missouri

School districts are informing parents of students with IEPs how paraprofessional, classroom aide, and program(s) are to be dropped or rearranged. Parents may be told this and not question the “administrative decision” the district is announcing.  Don’t be bamboozled! rsz_teen-reading

Changes to how a student is receiving services from a school district may alter the extent of learning the child receives.  It may lessen or aggravate the ability of the student to benefit from schooling.  Did you child’s needs change enough to the extent he no longer needs this support?  Parents can ask for an evaluation to see.

Some districts have told parents that many paraprofessionals will not be offered.  Some district have told parents that their student will now have a para available while the para serves a classroom full of students simultaneously.  Check the wording on your child’s IEP; “under adult supervision” is one way parents are misled. Does the IEP indicate a specific ratio?  the-iep-centerAsk who is assisting your child while the para is at lunch, on a restroom break or out for the day.  Often the teacher who supervises the paras are overwhelmed.  They may need a parent to request the extra help that is needed in the classroom.

There are avenues to pursue to address this; it may be most effective if a parent pursues correction before the change takes place.

Advocates at the iep center help parents solve IEP problems by providing information so they can advocate for the child with special needs.  Don’t be bamboozled!  Waiting and hoping for problems to go away allows our children to regress.

Contact an advocate here or in Missouri call 816 865 6262

©2015 Special Education Parent’s Advocacy Link LLC

sign up for ezine:


Special Education Parent’s Advocacy Link LLC dba The IEP Center™ provides information to parents regarding the problems of children with disabilities.  We are not attorneys and do not give advice.  Consult an attorney.

We help parents at low-cost; can’t afford? Check if your church will sponsor our service for you. Credit cards accepted through Paypal. Visit the website to set up a phone consult.



Who goes to IEP meeting with parent in Missouri?

A parent can take to IEP meetings whomever the parent may invite according to special ed  (IDEA) regulations.NICHCYcongress2

Some parents take family members, some parents take case managers from other agencies.  Taking someone is better than taking nobody.

However, who you take with you makes a difference.  In my experience, parents who took case managers from other agencies experienced the status quo from school district personnel.  After all, most case managers knowledge and experience with school districts is similar to how parents are treated regardless, and the school may know how to bamboozle them.  You and your case manager walk away from the IEP meeting assuming the meeting was productive which may not be reality.the-iep-center

Our advocates are familiar with the tactics school districts use to keep parents at bay which  results in the child receiving a minimal “schooling” of our child.  Over the years many parents expressed to our advocates the parent was treated with respect and much differently than before.

I don’t know of any federal requirements that requires parents to tell the school who they will bring to an IEP meeting.

The IEP Center advocates are aware of information parents can use to work the system and not be bamboozled. Has your advocate ever successfully participated in a special ed “mediation”? We have!  If a parent fails to take steps, then the child gets left behind.

This advocate is a certified teacher, parent, formerly worked in a law firm which represented parents, is a member since 1999 in the national forerunner advocate organization, and was a due process hearing panel member 1996-2013.

Don’t be bamboozled!   Parents who are serious about their child’s schooling and tired of being bamboozled use advocates at The IEP Center.  Parents who are serious about their child’s education use The IEP Center in Liberty, Park Hill, North Kansas City and Blue Springs school meetings. Visit the website to set up a consult.

Contact an advocate here:

©2015 Special Education Parent’s Advocacy Link LLC dba The IEP Center

SEPAL Advocates are not attorneys and do not give legal advice.  We do not represent parents or children.  Consult an attorney. We are advocates who have special knowledge related to the problems of children with disabilities.   We are civil rights advocates.

Non-attorney advocate services offered at low-cost.

Special Education Missouri: Futility for parents?

So you know the public school is not treating your child appropriately and the staff continues with the same approach, disregarding your requests for help.  What do you  do? rsz_look1-vert-246x300

Although many options are available, many parents are misled into pursuing “due process” as the first choice.  Unknowingly, many loopholes exist in pursuit of “due process” and it may seem that this process controls the parent.  There are other options for parents.

The “Monday morning quarterback” would comment  “if I had only nipped problems in the bud when they were smaller” the problems at the school wouldn’t have become so large.

Some public school districts give the impression that they won’t do for the child what he really needs until the parent forces the issue to a level higher to outside the school district.  From a parent perspective, it seems the parent has to deal with ongoing futility for long periods of time.

The IEP advocates helps parents deal with the public school for our kids with learning disabilities, autism, aspergers, cognitive deficits, cerebral palsy.  Advocates are available with extensive experience helping parents deal with public schools.  Get serious about your child’s schooling.

Parents in Missouri who need help dealing with the public school for their child with an IEP can consult with a professional special education advocate at The IEP Center.   Advocates also help parents when the parent wants an advocate to go to a meeting at the school with them!  Never go alone.

sign up for ezine:


Special Education Parent’s Advocacy Link LLC dba The IEP Center provides information to parents regarding the problems of children with disabilities.  We are not attorneys and do not give advice.  Consult an attorney.

We help parents at low-cost.  Delay works against our kids.

©2015 Special Education Parent’s Advocacy Link LLC dba The IEP Center is a trademark of the Special Education Parent’s Advocacy Link LLC